Thursday, June 18, 2009

The End Of My Paddle Dilema

If you remember a while back I was having trouble deciding what kind of paddle I should use for The Whimbrel, (upon completion) and after some poking around and what would seem to be dumb luck I think I've settled on shaping a version of the Greenland Paddle, created by the Inuits of Greenland and since then been perfected by modern woodworkers. Its unique design and shape make it easier on the muscles for longer trips and they still move you around just as quick using a sliding stroke, kind of a combo between paddles/paddling styles.

3-Piece laminated version

The neat aspect of this paddle is that it can be made with tools that I already posses, except a spokeshave, but I should probably own one of those anyway. And depending on the wood you choose, it can be made for under 20 dollars. A far cry from the 100-300 cost of buying one. I found some plans online and it seems fairly straight forward. This will be a project for after The Whimbrel is finished, but it should be a cool expiriment and a cool hamdmade paddle to go along with my handmade Canoe!

No comments:

Post a Comment