Monday, July 6, 2009

The Stern Stem

So I know that I haven't posted pictures in a while, here is some stuff that I've been lazy about putting up. This is the work on the Stern Stem for The Whimbrel, I used my electric planer and finished with my block plane and sanded it. I even made a little movie when I was trimming off some excess.

Stern Stem


Toggle The Timer To Make Me Dance

So, I didn't want to make the video to long and there isn't any sound, so just imagine a deafening "NNNEEEAAAAOOWWWHHHH" when the planer starts spitting sawdust and shavings through the air. I was taking down the top part of the 2x4 so that when I began planing the angles I wouldn't have to deal with all the extra wood. It's important to get nice even cuts along the stem to ensure a tight bond with the sides of the hull. Having nice "clear" and high quality wood is a big help.

Planing Away

You Can See The Stem Taking Shape

So now that I have two completed stems I'm set to work on the frame. Justin (The Shipwright) is back in Ithaca and we're gonna get together and work the plan out for getting the boat done in a timely manner. I'm not sure if I'll be able to get anything else done before my trip home, but I'm sure that upon my return I will into the full swing of things and hopefully, progressing nicely. I hope to have some more things done, and I'll post some pictures from my trip. Thanks for reading....

No comments:

Post a Comment