Tuesday, November 3, 2009

It's Alive

I returned home after work yesterday, went over to my cider and gave it a little once over. It seemed that nothing had changed and it seemed to be dormant. But, as they say, "A watched carboy never bubbles." So as soon as I turned I heard a "blurp!" I spun but not quickly enough to catch the action, so I waited, and some time later, "bulrp!" a pocket of air pushed past the water in the air-lock and burst forth with fermenting jubilance!

I tried not to let this small triumph go to my head, and I proceeded with my evening fully aware that if I were to listen for the tell tale sign I would surely drive myself insane! So as I turned my attentions to other events, like the Yankees loosing! YEAH! The evening quickly wasted away and it was time for bed.

It was there that I began to lay awake unable to sleep that I began to notice the "blurp!" in the still of the night amongst the breathing of my chubby Elkhound sleeping on the couch. I tried not to listen to it again fearing for my sanity when I noticed the noise much more frequently than before, the fermentation was really beginning to happen, "It's Alive!" I muttered in a Gene Wilder voice and slowly drifted off to sleep counting the "blurps!" in my head. So although it will be sometime before I'm singing "Puttin' On The Ritz" with my jug of cider, I was resting easily with the knowledge that I was creating something.

More to come soon, pictures of the Cider as the sediment begins to fall and the cider's future becomes clear!

No comments:

Post a Comment