Friday, November 27, 2009

Cider Update

Hey everyone! So, I managed about a week ago to transfer and re-rack my cider. My buddy Matt came over with an extra brew bucket, and after sanitizing we syphoned the cider out of Carboy #1 and into the brew bucket. The amount of yeast sediment on the bottom of the Carboy was astounding, and... a little gross but a good sign.

After the syphon did its job there was a small amount of cider at the bottom, I didn't want to tip the Carboy to syphon the last bit out because I wasn't keen on the idea of sucking up any of that yeast sediment. So, I tipped it and syphoned it into a glass for a first taste of what's to come. It was light in color, tangy with a yeasty quality but the apple flavor was there and there was no off flavors. GOOD NEWS!

After I cleaned out the Carboy and sanitized it it was time to move the cider back into the carboy. The transfer was complete and the airlock and plug were placed, I covered the carboy in a towel and moved it into my closet. Now it's a mere two-three more weeks until it's time to bottle. Hopefully I'll take some pictures then, we needed all 4 hands to do the syphoning so there were no photo ops.

No comments:

Post a Comment