Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Inspiration

As some of you may know, it was my 24th birthday yesterday and I'm happy to report a new wealth of inspiration and reading materials. "Instant Boat-Building" by Dynamite Payson, "Fifty Wooden Boats" by The Editors of Wooden Boat Magazine, and "Wood, Water & Light" which is a beautiful photography book that tells the stories of some of the more beautiful wooden boats I've ever laid eyes on.

These wonderful gifts have me chomping at the bit, so... I bought two pieces of Fir 2"x4"x8' to begin the process of beveling the bow and stern "stems" where the side panels will meet in perfect alignment to give The Whimbrel her shape. I will not be shaping them on a band saw or using any other electric tool for this job, I'll be using a block plane to carefully shape the stems, Pure old fashioned wood-working. I'll be posting some images as soon as I get started!

Get Ready. This is the start of something GREAT!

No comments:

Post a Comment