Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Day One

I started! All be it not that much got done as the light was fading and I had to spend most of my time farting around cause I had forgotten to get some strapping to make a little jig on my railing. Instead I had to search for a few bits of scrap just so I could get started (I'll have a new "fancier" and much more effective jig by Wednesday which will be the next time I can plane). I cut the "clear" lengths of fir for the Bow and Stern Stems and marked them carefully.

With the Bow Stem marked I began to plane, quickly noticing that the direction of the 2"x4" was going to make it difficult but with the limited range of my clamps there was noting I could do about it, I'm going to get a couple large "quick clamps" today with my gift card (Thanks Penny & Chuck) so that I might hold the timber in a fashion that will make planning the correct angle a little easier. "It's a learning process for me." But the most important thing is that I know what I need to do now!

The Whimbrel's First Pieces of Timber. Beer pairs perfectly with boat building!

That's gonna be pretty! It already looks like a boat! Maybe not.

So I started planing the bow stem but in reality I didn't get enough planing done to warrant a picture, you'll see it when it's finished on Wednesday. IT WILL BE FINISHED! That is my mantra for Wednesday.

On a Side note I may have found a place to construct The Whimbrel in doors! I local shipwright saw my Craigslist Post and may have space for me to work in, which would mean it could be done even sooner then I anticipated. WHOOOO!

Thanks for reading, next post should be Thursday. IT WILL BE FINISHED!

No comments:

Post a Comment